Thursday, June 2, 2011

Photography Philosophy

I am gonna start this second post with a little philosophy 101 and a bio. So I started taking photos for an amateur motocross magazine back in 2008 because motocross is where I come from. Originally I was only a writer, but I had a camera and wanted to take some pics of things I was writing about. I have been racing motocross for 15 years or so now, and I am still fully active in the sport, photography comes second to that. Since 2008, I got the bug, and really started enjoying what photography offered me, and think it might be my calling in the future when I have been broken to many times to ride a dirt bike anymore.

I am not the kind of person who picks up something up and just learns as I go. When I wanna do something, I do it 110% and search out everything possible to help me. I think that goes well with photography cause there is so much to learn. I have come a long ways since 2008 and it's all due to the ambition and mindset I have to learn everything from everyone I can. Honestly, you can never stop learning if you want to reach the next the next level. Whether your jump is from beginner to novice or amateur to pro, or even pro to all time great, the learning never stops. As little as I have been in it, I know many photographers already who want to take great photos but lack the drive or interest of searching out information and learning from great photographers. Thanks to the internet, there is a wealth of information available. From YouTube, to online tutorials, even video sets you can order, your photography can always grow.

I don't know how much I covered any philosophy, but here is my belief. When it comes to photography, learn everything you can. Even the best photographers in the world learn something new every year. With anything else don't be held down by mediocrity, if you don't like your pictures, figure out why, and what you can do to enhance them. Is it your composition, use of lighting, subject, angle, color balance or whatever else. It's amazing how a change in one dimension of a photo can turn the dull into amazing. I try to follow these philosophy's and hope one day everyone will look at my work in a positive way.

Since I am just starting this blog I don't wanna jump too far ahead, so I am gonna start out simple, aimed more towards the beginner. From there I will move on up into more advanced advice. But I will give you an example of things I am gonna cover.

-Learning your camera. Having a full knowledge of exposure, depth of field, aperture,, shutter speed and how the changes will effect your photo.

-Photoshop tutorials ranging from simple use of tools to advanced featuring of layering and masks, polishing up images for a final product.

-HDR tutorials, to help you break the stigma of overdone and sometimes noisy HDR's.

-Lighting Techniques

-Reviews of lenses, umbrellas including flash mods, beauty dishes(Ephoto and Lumodi), flashes, Nikon cls, orbis ring flash, video tutorials from the strobist David Hobby, pro Karl Taylor, and probably a host of other things. See ya soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment