Thursday, June 16, 2011

What's in my Bags?

You know a lot people always question what you shoot with. A lot of times they have a misconception that a great photo has to come from a $5000 dollar camera body with a $2500 dollar lens. This is simply not true. I have slowly built up my equipment, and I still have far to go, you can only do what you can afford.

Camera bodies are the least of your worries in my opinion. There are full frame cameras and cropped frame cameras. I shoot with Nikon, so their full frames are the D3's and D700. Their cropped frame cameras are the D7000, D300, D90, D3100 and all the others. I won't go into the difference but generally people say cropped frame cameras are for "amateurs" and full frames are for "pro's". This is true in a way, you gotta know how to use iso, apertures and shutter speeds. But with the introduction of the D7000 they are blurring the lines, and sometimes I really like the extra zoom I get in cropped frames.

Your lens is very important, there are some cheap lenses out there that are amazing. I have a 50mm that was 200 bucks and it's great. But when it comes to zooms you start to see a bigger difference in quality. You want to read reviews and make you buy the best lens you can for your price range. You really get what you pay for when it comes to lenses.

Nikon vs. Canon. Oh boy. The fight continues. haha. It's crazy how people argue over what's better. Well I am here to tell you neither. They are both amazing cameras and offer slightly different things. I shoot Nikon and I like it. I think it depends more on what you start with. I have used Nikon since my first camera so the menus and way it works is familiar, so I may never change. They both offer almost identical lenses and camera bodies. I think it's great to have both because they constantly push to outdo each other, which means we end up with never ending technology gains.

Here is what I am shooting with.

Camera Bag:

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 vr2
Nikon 35-70mm f/2.8
Nikon 10.5mm f2.8 Fisheye
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
Nikon 50mm f/2.8
Hoya HD UV Filters
Hoya HD Circular Polarizers
ColorRight Pro white balancer
Slik 4000x Tripod

Strobist Bag:

Nikon SB900
Nikon SB600 x2
Nikon SU-800 Controller
Orbis Ring flash
Lumodi 14" White Beauty Dish
Ephoto 22" Silver Beauty Dish
43" White Umbrella x2
33" Silver x1 and White x1 Umbrella
Rectangular 4 color reflector

Wish List: It's huge!

Nikon D700
Nikon 14mm or 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8
Nikon 105mm f/2.8 micro
Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8
Nikon 24mm or 45mm Tilt Shift Lens
Nikon 14E or 20E Tele Converter
2nd SB900
Boom Stand

1 comment:

  1. i really like this tom, as I am really getting into photography myself. I have a canon d60 and that was my big battle of what to buy, the canon just felt right in my hand. They both do the same thing. At the end of the day its not what you have its how you use it.

    ReplyDelete